29 June 2010

I Am Blip minterview

We featured him last week, so thought it about time we sent him ten questions...



Where are you right now and how is it?
Sitting in my flat in the Southside. It's top banana, albeit a tad messy. Just sitting tinkering with some new ideas before cycling over to play some soccerball.

How did you come up with your name?

My name is Andy Blip an thus "I Am Blip".

Are you a breast or bottom man?
Hmmm...
Both?
Yes, I'm saying both.
Like Dj Assault's "Ass 'n' Titties". Ass, titties, ass 'n' titties, ass ass, titties titties, ass 'n' titties... I'll no doubt be singing that at everyone over the weekend now. It's all your fault if I get slapped.

What are your biggest musical influences?
Good grief, everything really. Definitely 70s and 80s electronica and gay synthy pop, old school techno I really love, also you can't forget Kraftwerk. All that stuff isn't overproduced or too busy. A lot of it is about the melody and individual sounds. Bands like Mogwai and Sigur Ros too though, masters of building up songs.

The moment I decided I wanted to start producing and playing live techno was whilst watching the Super Furry Animals at the Hammersmith Apollo. When they played a 20min version of "The Man Don't Give a Fuck", it melts down from an indie rock song into a techno onslaught. There and then I was standing there thinking "I want to do that". SFA OK!!!

What is your current studio set-up?

My set up is the same as it has been since the start of "I Am Blip" a Korg EMX-1, and... that's it. No laptop, no Ableton, no Reason, just me and the Blipbox. My recordings are all sequenced live into Audacity. I love how hands on it is to play live with. I've got so much control over individual parts, and I'm always busy.

I've got a pair of Beyerdynamic ddt770 Pro so I don't bother the neighbours.

I do intend to purchase a MacBook and Ableton when I'm less skint, but that would be for different projects. Everything under "I Am Blip" will always be just me and the Blipbox.

Done any exciting gigs lately?

The Asterism launch with my co-resident Ross Hinton. Was a good chance to play out some of my new tracks and play a harder more banging set. Was a topper.

Who would you like to see win the World Cup?

My wallet is saying Spain as I got them in the sweepstake with my mates.

Where can we best hear your music?
www.soundcloud.com/iamblip - you can hear quite a lot of my recent stuff here, and currently download it all for free at 320kbps.
www.mixcloud.com/iamblip - you can get some live recordings of me playing live in some clubs here. Some older tracks in there.

Have you got any releases lined up for the near future?
Sadly not. I've been working on a lot of new material that I'm pretty happy with, but I'm pretty damned lazy when it comes to sending off demos or promoting myself. Hoping to release an EP or 2 by the end of the year. Time to get the finger oot methinks!

When are you going to get your hair cut?
I'll have you know I got it cut one week ago! I'm now far more aerodynamic, and have also increased my levels of dashing. Still a sexy party though.

No comments:

Post a Comment